featured PEOPLE

Focus; Dee Ann

10:12 AMHolic Media

Over the years, photography has evolved especially now that cameras and equipment can easily be reached with our own hands. Professional photographers as well as hobbyist photographers have grown wildly everywhere like mushrooms especially here in General Santos City. I won’t even lie with the fact that I myself am captivated with this what we call “photography”. Walking around malls and even during Kalilangan and Tuna festivals, I’ve seen a lot of people with their cameras hanging on their necks strolling around and capturing the smiles of children dancing on the streets. I’ve also seen a lot of photos in Facebook that shows the creative juice and the story they want to portray of hobbyist photographers. It only shows that Generals are one of the most creative and talented people here in the Philippines and the whole world.

Meet Dee Ann, a 22 year old hobbyist photographer here in General Santos City. Her photographs are unique, rich and full of emotion, every photograph tells a story. And each one of us can agree, her photographs are haunting and surreal in the most beautiful way.







Tell us a little bit about yourself? 


  • Hi, I am Dee Ann Gomez, 22 years old. I am a graduate school student. I am an occasional reader and I have seven dogs.

How and when did you discover your passion in photography? 

  • I was on my third year in college when my mom bought me a canon digital camera. From there, I started shooting random people on the streets; I remember I was so fascinated how one can capture reality in a fleeting moment. However, it was only last year that I started to take photography seriously.

What technology/camera gear do you use to keep focused on what you do best, as you photograph? 

  • And what software do you use for post processing? I use canon 600d while photoshop and lightroom for editing.

How do you educate yourself to take better pictures? 

  • By surrounding myself with people who continuously challenge my thinking. This is the internet’s best use case. You can meet bajillion of talented individuals right at your fingertips. As Austin Kleon puts it, ‘You’re only as good as the people you surround yourself with.’

How would you describe your style? 

  • I don’t have particular style, I guess. But most of my works, I consider them ‘surreal’ (or at least I think they’re surreal).

Exactly what it is you want to say with your photographs, and how do you actually get your photographs to do that?


  •  My primary objective or goal when people look at my work is to make them feel something. And how do I get to do that? In business, we have Test Marketing. It is the attempt to determine the success of a product before launching it to the market. And one way to determine if your product idea is worth pursuing is to ask people. When I have a concept in mind, I ask people I trust the most whether they think the idea is good or not. Then if I already have the output, I present it to them and ask how they feel about the photo and they give out honest answers. That’s when I publish my work.

Which photographers influenced you, and how did they influence your thinking, photographing, and career path? 


  • A lot of people inspire and influence me in different ways. I follow a bunch of immensely talented artists on Instagram and every single one of them inspires me to continue my pursuit.  Each great photographer has a particular penchant or love for photographing a particular subject whether it be nature, portraits, sea or landscapes, shadow and light, etc. As a result I would love to have you talk about and share whatever images you feel appropriate of your own private obsession in the magical world of photography.




This is my recent favourite. This pretty much sums up how I partly feel about this pursuit. When I started photography the goal was (is), to create for myself. At first it was easy, I mean, you can do crazy things when no one notices you, no expectation to fulfil; until people start to appreciate your work, until you meet amazing photographers, fellow art enthusiasts, there, you start doubting the quality of your work. You feel lost; your confidence starts to suffer. I have beaten myself up for a while now, I have been reluctant to share my work in fear of not being good enough. However, despite this confidence issue, let us continue shooting. We may sometimes forget the answer to the frequent question we always ask ourselves...


 "Why am I doing this?’ ~ remember , because you are passionate about it."

What motivates you to continue taking pictures economically, politically, intellectually or emotionally? 

  • It’s more of a personal and emotional drive that motivates me to continue taking pictures. Photography gives me a sense of purpose.

What is the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking photos? 

  • I wish I studied camera technicalities before I started shooting. Wish I learned the rules so I could have broken them well.

What advice do you have for all the aspiring photographers out there? 

  • First, I cannot give so much emphasis on the importance of having fun. Second, be stupid. Sometimes the crazy ideas are the ones that are the most interesting and unique.















More of Dee Ann on her blog... http://www.deeanngomez.tumblr.com/


CREATE. SHARE. INSPIRE.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

 photo holicad44.jpg photo holicad11.jpg

 photo holicad33.jpg photo holicad22.jpg

 photo holicad66.jpg photo holicad55.jpg


Contact Form